Search the web   Search this site

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

NHI want Martin Nievera to apologize; Martin refuses to make apology

Its always been a big issue on how Filipino singers can sing the Philippine National Anthem.

Once more debate on the net rises when Martin Nievera delivered a different rendition of the "Lupang Hinirang" in the recent boxing bout between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton at MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The National Historical Institute (NHI) is the first one to object on Martin's rendition. NHI's Heraldry Section chief Teddy Atienza slams Nievera for singing it wrong, no one asked for their approval on Martin's rendition and he is asking Martin for a public apology.

Atienza said, “Despite repeated reminders, some artists continue to make adjustments to the anthem, which is not an ordinary piece of music open to free interpretation.”

According to the law, "Lupang Hinirang" should be sang like a marching song. The Republic Act 8491, Sec. 37 futher states: "The rendition of the national anthem, whether played or sung, shall be in accordance with the musical arrangement and composition of Julian Felipe."

Martin Nievera refuses to apologize and felt that he sang the anthem “with respect, pride and lots of passion for my country and my countrymen. I sang the anthem like it was the last song I would ever sing."

“I didn't make fun of it or turn it into an R&B song. I sang it straight and only adjusted the last few notes to deliver my message clearly."

In another interview he said, "Well, it's gonna be hard for me to apologize for something that I am not sorry for".

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

He should apologize. Also he should apologize for the Filipino people, not just those "afraid of change."

Singing it the wrong way is ignorance. Refusing to apoligize is arrogance.

Ang yabang talaga ni Martin Nievera. That's why I prefer Gary Valenciano over him, but that's just me.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | GreenGeeks Review